Maroon Bells in Aspen, Colorado, is the most photographed place in the U.S.A. It’s perfect reflection of the glowing giant snow-striped Maroon Peaks during sunrise on the Maroon lake is truly magical. People stand shoulder to shoulder, even in the freezing cold to experience and capture this phenomenal moment every day. The first sun rays falling on the snow capped peaks set them on fire and make them glow golden yellow while competing with the shimmering surrounding Aspen trees valleys. During sunrise on a calm and clear day, you can see the beautiful reflection of the magnificent peaks on Maroon Lake. Maroon Peak and North Maroon Peak are separated by less than half a mile and are two Peaks in the Elk Mountains. No matter what the season is, the Maroon Bells mesmerizes with its remarkable views. The Maroon Bells Wilderness area also offers many wonderful hikes. It is approximately 10 miles from downtown Aspen which is known as the year around destination for outdoor activities, high-end restaurants, boutiques, ski resorts, and hotels.
These pictures are from our one morning at Maroon Bells on 30th September, 2019.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Best time to Visit: June to September
- Fall is great with clear and crips air, blue sky with aspen trees turning golden, but prepare yourself for very chilly morning and evenings
- Summer is most comfortable, but be ready to beat the crowd
- Spring is unpredictable as the weather varies and many trails are still covered with snow
- Fly Into
- Nearest: Aspen Airport (ASE) which is 12 miles away; Eagle Airport (EGE) in Veil is about 40 miles away; Montrose Airport(MTJ) in Montrose is about 63 miles away
- Good Deals: Colorado Springs (COS) which is 125 miles away and Denver International Airport which is approximately 135 miles away
- Summer: Casual t-shirts, shorts, tank tops, capris, rain jackets, comfortable hiking shoes, light jackets or long sleeves for the cool morning and evenings
- Fall and Spring: Long sleeves, fleece and warm jackets, vests, scarf, cap, gloves and comfortable hiking shoes
- Accommodation: Downtown Aspen is the base to visit Maroon bells. It is recommended to book accommodation in advance due to high popularity
- Check Maroon Bells Scenic Area for trails conditions and road closure
- Free shuttle labelled as Castle/Maroon runs every 20 mins from Rubey Park Transit Center in downtown Aspen to Aspen Highlands Visitor Center
- Maroon Bells wilderness area is closed for private vehicles between 8am to 5pm from June to October and it can only be accessed by public bus. The public bus is operated by the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA)
- The Maroon Bells guided public bus runs every 15 mins starting from 8am to 4:30pm from Aspen Highlands Visitor Center. The ride is about 20 mins and a $16/person ticket can be purchased at Aspen Highlands Visitor Center. The last bus leaves Maroon Bells at 5pm from Aspen Highlands Visitor Center
- Parking is limited at Aspen Highlands Visitor Center. Parking is free for the first hour, then $5.00 for each additional hour up to a maximum of $30.00
- Private vehicles can drive up to the Maroon Bells before 8am and after 5pm for the standard $10 cash/check per vehicle. Reservations needed for overnight parking to backpack into the Maroon Bells Wilderness. More info here
- It is worth getting up early and drive down there for best lighting, best photo op, more chance of wildlife, convenience of your own vehicle and also not to pay extra money for shuttle and parking
- It is really hard to get a parking spot at Maroon Bells during the sunrise; It would be lucky to get a parking spot even before an hour early to sunrise
- Getting a good spot or squeezing yourself to capture the magical Maroon Peaks during sunrise could be a bit challenging. Try to be there really early before sunrise to secure your spot
- Stay on designated trails and try to hike in the morning to avoid unpredictable afternoon thunderstorms
- The air is dry and there is less oxygen at higher elevations, so hydrate yourself if you go hiking
- Weather changes quickly, be prepared and dress accordingly
- No cell phone service around the wilderness area
- Bring food and water as there are no food stations/vending machines at Maroon Bells
- Restrooms are located at the shuttle pick-up/drop-off place
- Best Things To Do
- Experience the magical moments of glowing Maroon Peaks during the sunrise
- Take a stroll along the Maroon Lake to get a closer look of the alpine meadows, the Maroon Lake and the Maroon Peaks. The Maroon Lake Scenic Trail is a short and easy 1 mile round trip trail that begins at the parking lot/bus stop. The trail along the lake offers breathtaking views of the Maroon peaks, the active beaver pond, aspen forest and seasonal wildflowers meadows. On a clear and calm day, the reflection of the peaks on Maroon Lake makes a perfect and truly phenomenal vista. Continue walking further and cross the wooden bridge to hike another scenic trail: the Maroon Bells Scenic Loop Trail
- Enjoy hiking the Maroon Bells Scenic Loop Trail. This easy 1.5 mile loop trail starts from the upper end of the lake just past the wooden bridge. The trail opens up to the wilderness and offers cascading waterfalls, rushing streams, mountain meadows, aspens forest in the backdrop of stunning Maroon Peaks
- Hike the adventurous trail Crater Lake Trail. This 3.6 mile round trip trail is considered as moderate and begins at the Deadly Bells Kiosk from Maroon Lake Trailhead. The trail is steep and rocky, but offers breathtaking vistas of bushy aspen woodlands and a gorgeous Crater Lake
- Do an enjoyable hike on the Maroon Creek Trail. This 3.2 mile one way trail that goes along the Maroon Creek and winds through rocky slopes, mountain meadows, and aspen forests
33 replies on “A Guide To Maroon Bells in Colorado”
I’ve been to Colorado multiple times, but never here. Thanks for the tips.
Thanks Frank! Plan for next time!
What a gorgeous picture. I can see why it’s so popular.
Wonderful captures of a beautiful place. 😊
Great place and awesome pictures, Jyothi!!
Indeed. Its beautiful Indira! Thank you!
Reblogged this on Love and Love Alone.
Beautiful photos! One of my favorite places!
Yes, Same here. Thanks!
What a beautiful place, the sunlight on the mountains is stunning
Yes, truly magical. Thanks Maggie!
Love love love this place. Stunning photos! I’m hoping to visit during fall colors this year.
Thanks Diana! I hope you will be able to visit!
wow, what a beauty
Thank you Krishna!
Most welcome 🙏
Wow Jyothi, these photos are absolutely incredible. It looks like such a beautiful place, especially in this light. Hopefully I will get to visit from the UK one day 🙂
Yes, it is a beautiful place, the views are breathtaking. I hope you will be able to visit! Thank you!
Wow, what beauty!
Yes, It is so gorgeous, Lovnish Ji! Thank You
It really does look a beautiful place, and your vivid descriptions help to make me feel like I’m there walking the trails and hiking the mountains. 😊
Thanks for the kind words, Hamish!
Wow – so beautiful
Stunning captures and a beutiful write up
One of the most memorable places in the Colorado mountains. Your description is beautiful. Great sunlight photos!
We had a wonderful time at Maroon Bells. Views were amazing! Thanks for the kind words!
Thank you Jyothi, it’s sublime !!!
Great pictures. We have been to Colorado but only in Denver and were not able to drive and see the beautiful scenery. Another time, we will have to plan time.
Hope you will be able to make it next time 🙂