Gorgeous waterfalls, deep scenic gorge, roaring river, and a lush forest… what a majestic beauty the Letchworth State Park is! No wonder why Letchworth State Park is known as “Grand Canyon of the East”. Letchworth State Park is one of the most magnificent state parks in the Finger Lakes region in the state of New York, USA. Letchworth State park is roughly 17 miles long and spreads over 14,427 acres of beautiful lush landscape. The Genesee river roars and runs through the deep scenic gorge and cliffs as high as 600 feet. The park offers over 66 miles of excellent marked hiking trails with jaw dropping views of stunning waterfalls surrounded by lush forests. The picture perfect Upper Falls is 70 feet high and gives an impression of a picture framed by an active railroad. The largest and most spectacular among the three falls is the 107 feet high, about 285 feet wide curtain like Middle falls. Though the 50 feet Lower Falls is not easily accessible compared to other two astonishing waterfalls, the trail provides excellent views of deep scenic gorge along the hike to the viewpoint. The park looks amazing in every season, but the park turns into a colorful masterpiece in fall. The 17 mile road runs through the park making it easy to access the amazing vista points that offer different angles of impressive gorge and picturesque waterfalls.
These photos are from Fall 2014 and Summer 2010.
Quick Facts and Tips
- The park is open year round.
- Best time to Visit: Summer and Fall. Be prepared for the crowd in Summer to Fall.
- Check for road closure and trail condition at The Park’s Website.
- Lodging options are limited as the Letchworth State Park is located in a rural area. But, the park offers hundreds of campsites and cabins.
- There is a $10 entrance fee per vehicle.
- There are four entrances to the park. The Portageville and Castile entrances are closest and provide the best access to the waterfalls and the gorge views.
- The Upper Falls is easily accessed by the Falls Area parking lot and heading upstream a short distance.
- An easy, paved 7 mile Gorge Trail is the most popular and offers amazing views of Upper and Middle falls at the overlooks.
- A half mile descending 127 stone steps trail to a stone footbridge leads to the viewpoint of beautiful Lowe Falls. Take caution as the trail can get muddy and very slippery.
- Inspiration Point Overlook offers the breathtaking view of both the Upper and Middle Falls.
- There is very limited cellphone service in the park.
- There are amenities like a pool, playground, athletic fields, restaurant, gift shop and restrooms.
- The park hosts seasonal activities like festivals, cultural events, history and performing arts programs, guided walks, whitewater rafting, hot-air ballooning, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
37 replies on “Letchworth State Park, New York”
Such a beautiful park, wow!! 😊🤩
Beautiful shot Jyothi!
Wonderful photography, dear Jyothi. I hiked that gorge with a friend back in the late-90’s ~ it’s a beautiful area & I thank you for sharing my friend 😊
Nice, good to know that! Thanks Phil!
Thank you for the beautiful post.😊
Very beautiful photos Jyothi! Very soothing to the eye❤
Glad you liked it, Mousumi!
Beautiful in the fall colours, for sure. Thanks for sharing. Allan
Yes Allan, looks awesome in fall!
Amazing pictures of waterfalls. Colorful in different seasons. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Awesome scenes…visual treats! Excellent post!
Wow that is a great place walk and see these Falls.
Yes, its beautiful and easily accessible! Thanks!
Picturesque place and the colour of the trees is beautiful
What a beautiful spot! A friend of ours used to go there a lot, we need to get there!
You gonna love it!
We really need a “Love” button, Like isn’t nearly good enough!
Wow! I love waterfalls!! Adding this park to my list for sure. Thanks for sharing!!
Mesmerizing beauty of the nature. It’s just WOW.
Lovely, lovely, lovely! I have never visited this area but your photos certainly make me want to! I went to a waterfall spot in NY, near Ithaca I believe, but cannot remember the name. It was beautiful, but not as stunning as the photos you’ve shared here. Thanks, Jyothi! 🌞
Thanks for the kind words! Plan to visit next fall, Lisa! 🙂
Really beautiful images, especially with those fall colours.
Than you Caroline!!
Great photos, I could almost feel the mist from the falls!
Glad you liked it! Thank you!
Wow, these pictures were breath-taking. Thank you so much for sharing. After all of the horrible news I hear on the TV, it’s nice to be reminded of how beautiful and masterful this world can be.
Nice information! 😊
Wow, these are amazing. This place has now been added to my bucket list