New York is home to many impressive state parks, but only a few are as incredible as Watkins Glen State Park located in Watkins Glen village. Watkins Glen State Park, in the Finger Lakes region of New York, is a natural jewel with amazing views. The Park features a series of waterfalls, a flowing stream, steep cliffs and scenic gorges. The glen stream descends through the scenic deep gorge and generates 19 waterfalls. Hiking the winding Watkins Glen Gorge trail along the Glen creek over and under the waterfalls is a truly magnificent experience. Everyone’s favorite, the Gorge Trail at Watkins Glen, offers the most iconic Rainbow Fall, classic stone staircases, idyllic bridges, zigzagging Glen creek, a pretty gorge, and of course views of some of the most gorgeous cascades in the Finger Lakes region.
These photos are from Fall 2014.
Quick Facts and Tips
- The park is open year round, but the popular Gorge Trail is seasonal.
- Best time to visit: Spring through Fall
- Check for trail and road closures at the park’s Website
- There is a $10 fee per vehicle.
- There is a $5 per person shuttle service that runs daily from mid June until Labor Day and only on weekends between mid May and mid June. The shuttle runs every 15-20 mins between the three entrances – Main, Upper and South.
- Start early on weekdays for best photo op and more elbow room.
- The popular Gorge Trail is about 1.5 mile one way with 832 stone steps. This picturesque trail goes along with Glen Creek and reaches the base of a 400 feet deep gorge. The trail is open from mid May to late october.
- You can hike the Gorge Trail either from the top (Upper Entrance) or bottom (Main Entrance) of a gorge. It is easier to climb down the stone steps by choosing the Upper Entrance and returning back by taking a shuttle from the Main Entrance.
- Bring plenty of water
- Wear waterproof clothes and shoes as you walk very close to and under the waterfalls
- The cell phone service is weak/no coverage in the park.
- The Park offers campsites and cabins. There are restrooms, hot showers, dumping stations, food concessions, gift shops, rental pavilion, picnic tables & grills, playing fields, swimming pool and playgrounds
- Enjoyable and peaceful getaway for tri-state residents