New York is home to many impressive state parks, but only a few are as incredible as Watkins Glen State Park located in Watkins Glen village. Watkins Glen State Park, in the Finger Lakes region of New York, is a natural jewel with amazing views. The Park features a series of waterfalls, a flowing stream, steep cliffs and scenic gorges. The glen stream descends through the scenic deep gorge and generates 19 waterfalls. Hiking the winding Watkins Glen Gorge trail along the Glen creek over and under the waterfalls is a truly magnificent experience. Everyone’s favorite, the Gorge Trail at Watkins Glen, offers the most iconic Rainbow Fall, classic stone staircases, idyllic bridges, zigzagging Glen creek, a pretty gorge, and of course views of some of the most gorgeous cascades in the Finger Lakes region.
These photos are from Fall 2014.
Quick Facts and Tips
- The park is open year round, but the popular Gorge Trail is seasonal.
- Best time to visit: Spring through Fall
- Check for trail and road closures at the park’s Website
- There is a $10 fee per vehicle.
- There is a $5 per person shuttle service that runs daily from mid June until Labor Day and only on weekends between mid May and mid June. The shuttle runs every 15-20 mins between the three entrances – Main, Upper and South.
- Start early on weekdays for best photo op and more elbow room.
- The popular Gorge Trail is about 1.5 mile one way with 832 stone steps. This picturesque trail goes along with Glen Creek and reaches the base of a 400 feet deep gorge. The trail is open from mid May to late october.
- You can hike the Gorge Trail either from the top (Upper Entrance) or bottom (Main Entrance) of a gorge. It is easier to climb down the stone steps by choosing the Upper Entrance and returning back by taking a shuttle from the Main Entrance.
- Bring plenty of water
- Wear waterproof clothes and shoes as you walk very close to and under the waterfalls
- The cell phone service is weak/no coverage in the park.
- The Park offers campsites and cabins. There are restrooms, hot showers, dumping stations, food concessions, gift shops, rental pavilion, picnic tables & grills, playing fields, swimming pool and playgrounds
- Enjoyable and peaceful getaway for tri-state residents
43 replies on “Watkins Glen State Park, New York”
This looks a lovely place to visit, great views of the waterfalls
Heading to Watkins Glen in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the visit. Thank you for the preview.
That’s nice! Have a wonderful time!! Thank you!
It is indeed beautiful. Looks like a vreat park to visit in the autumn. Thanks for sharing. Allan
Indeed, the park offers beautiful and colorful display of fall foliage! Thanks Allan!
Just awesome… no words to describe this place!!
I am glad that you liked it Indira! Than you!
Beautifully captured and described. It is not far from where I live and I have been there numerous times. The parks in that area are an incredible jewel of natural beauty.
Exactly, its a natural beauty! I am glad that you liked the pictures! Thank you!
Was there only one picture of the park? I clicked on the arrows several times, the one picture is beautiful, but was hoping to see more. Thanks for posting.
It’s a slideshow. Are you still not able to see it?
The place looks so amazing!!
Yes..it is!! Thank you!
Amazing falls and fall colors. Great park!
Wonderful place! Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Beautiful images and informative tips …
Thank you for sharing, Jyothi 🙂
Thank you Sreejith!
We have been here a couple of times, beautiful area ! Thanks for the memories 🙂
Good to hear that! Gorge Trail is breathtakingly beautiful!! Thank you!
It sure is!
Wow! That place looks amazing. We love waterfalls. This will go on our bucket list. Thanks.
Yes, the park is a natural gem! Thank you!
The park offers stunning views in fall. Make a plan to visit in autumn. Thank you!
This is the place I visited that I referred to last week in a comment to you! But your photos are much better than mine! Great job as always, Jyothi! 🌞
You are so nice, Lisa. Thanks for the kind words!!
Well, I appreciate your kindness, Jyothi! 🌞
Oh.. I thought you were referring Ithaca Falls in Ithaca, NY. That’s beautiful too!
No, I remember it being near Ithaca, if memory serves, but some of your photos are nearly the same as mine. 🌞
Wow that is beautiful! You really visit the best places!
Thank you so much!
As always so beautiful, I’m very envious of your exploring so thanks for letting me live it all through your photos 🙂
Hahaa.. Thank you so much! I am very happy that you liked it!
I heard the name of this place when I lived back east many years ago, but I had no idea how beautiful and dramatic a canyon is there. Thanks for these stunning photos!
Yes, it is gorgeous!. Thank you so much!!
Wow. Spectacular photos! I have to add this one to my list for sure!!
These photos are breath-taking. For me, waterfalls are an incredible testament to the beauty and power of nature. When I saw that the post was about New York, I didn’t expect to see so much beautiful nature. Thank you for showing me a side of New York I’ve never seen before.
Thanks for the nice words! The Finger Lake region of New York offers so many gorgeous waterfalls and beautiful lakes!
Always have wanted to visit.