Skagway is a dense city along the popular cruise route, the Inside Passage. The Skagway district has a historical past and looks like a Hollywood movie set with about 100 buildings from the gold rush era. During the Klondike Gold rush, many prospectors from all over the world stampeded and came through Skagway on their way to the Klondike Valley to find gold. The most popular tour, White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad/Motor tour gives you the best picture of the overall history of Skagway during the Gold Rush and also offers magnificent views.
These photos are from our visit to Skagway during the last week of August, 2013.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Best time to visit: June to September
- Port of Call or Fly Into: Skagway, Alaska
- It is cool, so plan to dress in layers. Comfortable jeans, hiking shorts, T-shirts, warm jackets, scarfs, coats, caps, gloves, comfortable walking/hiking shoes/Snow boots.
- What to Expect
- Glaciers, Snow-capped mountains, Fjords, Waterfalls, Lakes, Valleys, Wildlife, Gorges, Tunnels, Historic sites
- Best Things to do
- Enjoy a motor ride to White pass Summit and Yukon Suspension Bridge .
- Ride a White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad.
- Visit Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and check your luck with Gold panning.
- Do Skagway Dog Sledding Tour.
- Take a Skagway Street Car City Tour with a storyteller.
- Take a Chilkoot Lake Tour to watch wildlife.
- Walk around Skagway city.
- Float along the Taiya River.
- Ride a jeep and explore the scenic Klondike Highway all by yourself.
- Take a jeep tour to experience the Yukon & Suspension Bridge.
10 replies on “Skagway, Alaska”
Beautiful, Nice photography.
Thank You !
Beautiful pictures! We’ve taken a number of cruises which we love to do. But we have not taken a cruise to Alaska. (Probably won’t for a while.) But with a cruise, you only get so much time in port. I wonder what the best activity would be to do in Skagway. Thanks for your post!
A wonderful share. I have been to Fairbanks. Gorgeous country.
Excellent, Jyothi! That street car looks like our old buses 😊
Skagway looks beautiful Jyothi!
This post and your other Alaska posts are really making me want to visit.
It looks amazing, I’d love to visit one day 🙂
Alaska is known, but it seems Skagway is such a beautiful city.