Driving through the historic Klondike Highway is an extraordinary memorable experience. The 445 mile/715 km highway passes through three different states (provinces): Alaska, British Columbia, and the Yukon. The South Klondike Highway connects Skagway (Alaska) to Whitehorse (Yukon), and passes through the White Pass mountain summit area and the Southern Lakes region of the Yukon. The North Klondike Highway connects Whitehorse to Dawson City, Yukon. The Klondike Highway runs pretty much parallel to the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway and offers stunning panorama views of mountains, glaciers, gorges, the dead horse gulch, waterfalls, tunnels, and historic sites.
There are many vista points worth stopping at along the South Klondike highway. The stunning White Pass is one among them. White Pass is a mountain ridge through the Coast Mountains range on the border of Alaska and the province of British Columbia, Canada. It leads from Skagway to the chain of lakes at the headwaters of the Yukon River. The White Pass trail was the main pass used by prospectors during the Klondike Gold Rush. Though it was easier than the Chilkoot Trail, the lengthy journey and harsh climate took the lives of many prospectors and their horses. Therefore, the White Pass trail was nicknamed the Dead Horse Trail.
These photos are from our motor coach tour to White Pass Summit and Yukon during the last week of August, 2013.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Make sure you have valid passports and visas since the Klondike Highway crosses the US-Canada border
- Best time to visit: June to September
- Port of Call or Fly Into: Skagway
- It is cool, so plan to dress in layers. Comfortable jeans, T-shirts, warm jackets, scarfs, caps, gloves, rain jackets, comfortable walking shoes
- What to Expect
- Glacier, Snow-capped mountains, Craggy Mountains, Fjords, Rushing Waterfalls, Sparkling Lakes, Valleys, Wildlife, Gorges, Tunnels, Historic Gold Rush sites
- Best things to do
- Ride the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad.
- Take a bus tour to White Pass Summit and Yukon Suspension Bridge.
- Take a Motor Coach Tour to The Klondike Summit to Yukon.
- Ride a jeep and explore the scenic Klondike Highway all by yourself
- Take a jeep tour to experience the Yukon & Suspension Bridge.
- Visit Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and check your luck with Gold panning.
- Do Skagway Dog Sledding Tour.
- Take a Skagway Street Car City Tour with a storyteller.
- Take a Chilkoot Lake Tour to watch wildlife.
- Walk around Skagway city
- Float along the Taiya River.
13 replies on “White Pass Summit, Klondike Highway”
Omg! It’s beautiful 😍
Love the fog
Beautiful scenery indeed. You forgot to mention bug protection against the mosquitoes and black flies. I understand they will eat you alive during the short summer. Thanks for sharing. Allan
Breathtaking views everywhere.
Looks like an epic drive!
Wonderful travel story about Alaska 😍🤩
Gorgeous pictures. This looks like it would have been such a scenic drive.
Breathtaking places, love the pictures!
Oh it is beautiful. I have a vivid memory of it. Hope I get back again some day