Mount Pleasant is a charming town in South Carolina close to the famous and attractive town Charleston. Mount Pleasant is a large suburban town on the northside of Charleston harbor. The town is famous for its historical sites, rich culture, waterfront views, parks, and variety of outdoor activities.
These photos are from our visit to Mount Pleasant on 14th March, 2023.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Best time to Visit: March through November
- March to May: Peak season, Pleasant weather with low humidity, blooming flowers, high hotel rates, more crowds
- June to August: Hot and humid, hurricane season, most crowded
- September to October: Peak season, comfortable temperature, plenty of events and festivals, more crowds, pricy hotels
- December to February: Off season, Cold temperature, less expensive hotels, less crowds
- Fly Into:
- Nearest Airport: Charleston (CHS) Airport which is 12 miles away from downtown Charleston
- Other Major Airports: Myrtle Beach International Airport which is about 100 miles away. Charlotte and Raleigh in North Carolina are about 200 miles away can also be considered for better deals
- Regional Airports: Florence Regional Airport, South Carolina about 130 miles away, Wilmington International Airport, North Carolina about 170 miles away, Fayetteville Regional Airport, North Carolina approximately 190 miles away
- Spring to Fall: Lightweight casual t-shirts, light pants and shorts, sundresses, tank tops, capris, skirts, swimsuits, sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes/footwears, rain gear and a sweater, light jacket for the cool evenings.
- Winter: Dress in layers. Jeans, Long sleeved shirts, sweaters, coats, scarfs and hats, and comfortable shoes/boots.
- Accommodation: Though there are many great hotels in Mt Pleasant and Charleston, it is highly recommended to book in advance. Downtown Charleston, Mount Pleasant, and North Charleston are the best places to stay. Book the appropriate hotels of your interest that fit your needs and budget best. Make a note that downtown hotels are expensive.
- Make reservations in advance for restaurants if you are planning to visit during spring or summer
- How many days: 1 to 2 days enough to cover majority of the highlights
- Be prepared for rain. Always bring a raincoat.
- Flash floods are common, so keep an eye on roads and road closures. Avoid going through flooded areas.
- Best things to do
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge: The Arthur Ravenel Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge over the Cooper river and it is hard to miss. Whether you drive on it or take the walking path, this 2.5 mile long bridge offers a beautiful view of the water and the city. This bridge connects Mount Pleasant to downtown Charleston and offers scenic views of the harbor. It is pleasant to watch the ships pass under and catch the sunset. There is also a children’s park located right by the pier with a large free parking area and conveniently shaded by the bridge. It is a famous landmark in Charleston that offers amazing panoramic views of the harbor. One of the best spots to photograph the bridge is from Patriot’s Point on Sullivan’s Island. You can get a shot of the bridge with water and some greenery at the Mount Pleasant Memorial Park underneath the bridge. The Waterfront Park is the best spot to capture the photos of a bridge with some city lights . Try to visit in the evening so that you can catch a beautiful sunset and the best lighting for photography.
- Boone Hall Plantation: Take a peaceful stroll under a picturesque canopy of live oak trees over a mile long path that leads to the historic mansion. More info here.
- Pitt Street Bridge: Enjoy a peaceful walk while embracing the beauty of the lots of greenery and scenery. More info here.
- Patriot Point Naval Museum: Explore the museum about naval and maritime history of the US Navy and its involvement in WWII and other wars located in Mount Pleasant South Carolina. It has museum ships USS Yorktown, USS Laffey, USS Clamagore, and exhibits aircrafts, submarine helicopters, and more. It is open every day from 9 am to 6:30pm. You can buy admission tickets online or at the gate, tickets cost $24 for adults and $16 for children. The address is 40 Patriot Point Road, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
- Patriot Point Loop Trail: Take a flat and paved 2.8 loop trail that starts at USS Yorktown Park. The trail offers scenic views of the harbor, city skyline, great views of the Patriot Point Park and of course Arthur Ravenel Bridge. The trailhead is located at 40 Patriots Road, Mount Pleasant. There will be a parking fee of $5 at USS Yorktown park.
- Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park: Watch a stunning sunset at the Mount Pleasant Waterfront Memorial Park. The park features a fishing pier, a playground, a war memorial and gift shop. The address is 99 Harry M. Hallman Jr Blvd, Mt Pleasant, South Carolina.
- Nearby Attractions
- Fort Sumter