Skagway is a dense city along the popular cruise route, the Inside Passage. The Skagway district has a historical past and looks like a Hollywood movie set with about 100 buildings from the gold rush era. During the Klondike Gold rush, many prospectors from all over the world stampeded and came through Skagway on their way to the Klondike Valley to find gold. The most popular tour, White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad/Motor tour gives you the best picture of the overall history of Skagway during the Gold Rush and also offers magnificent views.
These photos are from our visit to Skagway during the last week of August, 2013.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Best time to visit: June to September
- Port of Call or Fly Into: Skagway, Alaska
- It is cool, so plan to dress in layers. Comfortable jeans, hiking shorts, T-shirts, warm jackets, scarfs, coats, caps, gloves, comfortable walking/hiking shoes/Snow boots.
- What to Expect
- Glaciers, Snow-capped mountains, Fjords, Waterfalls, Lakes, Valleys, Wildlife, Gorges, Tunnels, Historic sites
- Best Things to do
- Ride a White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad.
- Visit Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and check your luck with Gold panning.
- Do Skagway Dog Sledding Tour.
- Take a Skagway Street Car City Tour with a storyteller.
- Take a Chilkoot Lake Tour to watch wildlife.
- Walk around Skagway city.
- Float along the Taiya River.
- Ride a jeep and explore the scenic Klondike Highway all by yourself.
- Take a jeep tour to experience the Yukon & Suspension Bridge.