High Falls Gorge has gorgeous waterfalls under the shadow of whiteface mountain in the Adirondacks region in Upstate NY. The High Falls Gorge is a privately owned nature park. A well maintained mile trail with modern bridges and a glass platform pathway features beautiful waterfalls, the impressive Ausable river, dark pools, and NY’s largest pot holes. During spring, waterfalls are at their highest volume due to runoff from melted snow. Because of the series of four beautiful waterfalls, it’s known as the “Ancient valley of foaming river” by native Americans. It is located on NY-86, Wilmington, just about 8 miles from Lake Placid and 12 miles from Whiteface Mountain Summit. If you are around Lake Placid, you can try to visit High Falls Gorge.
These photos are from our visit to Upstate New York on the labor day weekend of September, 2021 and was our first outing since the pandemic.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Weak or no cell phone signals, highly recommend to have maps downloaded or printed.
- Opens daily from May to October from 9am to 4pm.
- Parking is free, but there will be an entry fee.
- There is a cafe, a gift shop, and restrooms.
- An easy one mile loop well maintained walking pathway with bridges and stairs gives excellent views of the waterfalls.
- Check the website for more info.