The Gillette Castle state park is located in East Haddam, about an hour drive from Hartford, Connecticut. The Gillette Castle is a three storied stone structure, looks like a medieval fortress, decorated inside with the built-in couches, table trackway, and wood carvings. This splendid castle overlooking the Connecticut River was built by William Gillette, who is most famous for his acting role portraying Sherlock Holmes. The park features not just the fascinating architecture of Gillette Castle, but also offers impressive views of the Connecticut river and surroundings.
These photos are from a very short visit to the Gillette Castle State Park on 20th August, 2022.
Quick Facts and Tips
- The castle opens from 10 am to 4:30 pm from Memorial day through Labor’s Day. But the park grounds and restrooms are open daily from 8 am to sunset.
- There will be an entry fee to enter the Castle; $6 for anyone 13+; $2 for kids 5-12; free for kids under 5.
- Parking and access to the hikes/surrounding grounds are free.
- Castle tours with a maximum 12 visitors are available for every 15 minutes from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Tickets can be purchased at the visitors center as well as online (more info here).
- The final Castle tour sold at the Visitor Center at 4 p.m and the last entry to the castle is at 4:15pm.
- Check the park’s official website for current status.
- The park offers this charming historic building along with the beautiful views of the Connecticut River and scenic hiking trails.
- The historic Chester-Hadlyme ferry running from April through November can be reached by hiking down the trail near the Castle. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes and stay on the hiking trail.
- The park amenities include the Visitor Center, Castle museum, Gift Shop, Restrooms, Vending Machines and picnic tables.