San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico (an unincorporated U.S. territory in the Caribbean islands), is the largest city in the island. It is also the busiest and largest cruise port in the Caribbean. San Juan attracts tourists with its rich heritage, dynamic culture, and colorful Spanish colonial buildings. One of the historical landmarks is San Juan National Historic Site and this site has been declared as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. This historical site is in the Old San Juan region and includes Castillo San Felipe del Morro, Castillo San Cristóbal, most of the city walls, the San Juan Gate, and Fort San Juan de la Cruz.
These photos are from our Eastern Caribbean cruise trip during the second week of February, 2019.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Make sure you have valid passports, visas and documents.
- U.S. citizens: No visa required, need to carry a valid ID
- For non-U.S. citizens: Need valid passports and visas
- Best Time to Visit: December to June
- High season: December to March
- Affordable season: April to June
- Hurricane season: August to October
- Getting there:
- By air: Fly into San Juan International Airport or Rafael Hernandez Airport
- By cruise ship: The Port of San Juan (in Spanish: Puerto de San Juan)
- Clothing: Weather is warm, so pack lightweight causal t-shirts, shorts, sundresses, tank tops, capris, skirts, swimsuits, hats, rain gears and light jackets for the cool evenings
- Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm, open year around except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
- Entrance Fee: $10, valid for both Castillo San Felipe del Morro and Castillo San Cristobal
- Best things to do
- Take a stroll to the historical and cultural site Castillo San Felipe del Marro commonly known as El Morro
- Take a trail through the Paseo del Morro and feel fresh with the Atlantic Ocean breeze, beautiful views of San Juan bay, and massive stone walls of the fort. It is slippery when it rains and very windy so dress accordingly
- Walk through the nature trail behind El Morro for the panoramic view of the fort, San Juan bay, and Old San Juan
- Visit the largest Spanish fort Castillo San Cristobal and enjoy the beautiful view of Old San Juan