Alaska, the gorgeous land one could ever dream of. When it comes to Alaska, the dynamic glaciers, deep sheltered fjords, snow-capped mountains, acres of rugged mountains, turquoise color lakes, rivers, waterfalls, wildflowers, waterways, temperate rainforests, wildlife, wild coastlines, salmon, gold rush, everything burst into our mind. Alaska is the most beautiful place on the earth. The photos really cannot do justice to to this spectacular land!
Here are some sneak peeks of Awesome Alaska! These photos were taken during our round-trip cruise from Seattle to Alaska in the last week of August 2013!
Quick Facts and Tips
- Make sure you have valid passports and visas (some tours and excursions might cross US-Canada border)
- Best time to visit: May to September
- Good deals: May and September
- Peak Season: June to August
- Best way to visit
- Cruises: Cruises are a great way to see Alaska. Cruises give you options to choose between the number of ports. It is always better to choose the cruise that offers more time on land and more ports of call. Compared to round-trip Alaska cruises, you get to experience more of Alaska by choosing one-way Alaska cruises. Choose wisely to feel a true Alaska experience.
- Alaska By Road: Easy and flexible. But keep in mind that you need to get a boat or plane to reach some major towns in Alaska as there are no roads. Roads are often curvy and wind up and down. Some even have unpaved stretches but offer more photo opportunities of gorgeous mountains and wildlife along the way. You can experience the true Alaska and cover most of it, but need to plan well.
- It is cool, so plan to dress in layers. Comfortable jeans, hiking shorts, T-shirts, sweaters, warm jackets, coats, scarfs, caps, gloves, comfortable walking/hiking shoes/snow boots.
- Major Airports
- Anchorage International Airport, Fairbanks, Ketchikan and Juneau.
- Major Ports of Call
- Seward, Whittier, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Sitka Fairbanks, Anchorage, Valdez, Homer, Haines
- How many days: 7 to 10 days
- It is always recommended to book a vacation to Alaska in advance as there is limited lodging and limited space on the Alaskan Railroad, attraction tours, and other activities. Also check cancellation policies for advance bookings.
- Book shore excursions in advance. Excursion through cruises are a little pricey but it is guaranteed that you will not be left out at ports.
- Days are long and are warm in summer. Make use of the intense summer days and explore more.
- If you take any Alaska Railroad, make sure to sit in a dome car.
- Some tips while driving
- If you are driving in Alaska, always keep some extra time for stopping for photos, wildlife, sights and for unplanned detours.
- Not many gas stations, fill your gas tank whenever get the opportunity.
- Pack snacks as it is hard to find vegetarian food, especially out of the cities in Alaska.
- It is recommended to carry cash as many shops and restaurants accept only cash.
- There is lot to capture, so keep your camera ready. Make sure that camera is fully charged and also keep backup battery and memory cards.
- Weak/no cell phone signals, highly recommend to have maps downloaded or printed.
- Important to follow the signs and mile markers.
- Roads are narrow, winding, unpaved, drive slowly.
- Don’t leave food in the car.
- Denali National Park
- Mendenhall Glacier
- Sawyer Glacier – Tracy Arm Fjords
- Klondike Highway
- White Pass & Yukon Route Motor or Railroad
- Inside Passage
- Yukon Suspension Bridge
- Glacier Bay National Park
- Kenai Fjords National Park
- Katmai National Park
- Gabbard Glacier
- Alaska Highway
- Dalton Highway
42 replies on “Alaska”
Amazing place & pics
Amazing! The Klondike Highway picture in particular is great!
Very informative and helpful. Thank you!
I am glad that you found this helpful! Thank you!
Yukon – Klondike Highway – Breathtaking
Thank you Saritha!
Lovely pics.. your photos inspires to visit the place & very informative!
Thanks for the kind words!
Astonishing, especially the Tracy Arm Fjord.
Breathtaking pics. And very informative article with the precautions to be taken. These will be helpful for any nature trek.
Nice list of attractions! I’ll add some of them for my next trip there 🙂
I am glad that you found its useful. Thanks Divya!
Looks as if Alaska’s beauty is beyond imagination. Very informative 👏 also.
Thanks for the nice words!
Alaska is the best! I do want to do a river trip in the Yukon some day….the never ending bucket list 🙂
Alaska is so beautiful.. hope you will be able to visit soon!
Amazing natural scenery, great capture
Alaska is still on our bucket list, but then it’s so long.. the list🙂
Stunning and breath taking pictures Jyothi
Magnificent, every picture is amazingly beautiful
Beautiful pictures. I’d love to visit Alaska someday. The landscape looks incredible.
Yup.. gorgeous land, natural beauty in every corner! Thanks!
Captivating nature…excellent description with the pictures, Jyothi!
Awesome! Great minds think alike. 😄
Alaska is truly another world. Hard to believe it is the U.S.
Wow, the White Pass summit is my favorite.
Aha.. agreed 🙂 Glad you liked them!
Would love to visit someday! Great photos!
You will, thanks!