Looking for a place to experience the beauty of nature and enjoy some outdoor activities, Sandstone Falls is a great destination. It is truly unique and is the largest waterfall on the New River, spanning a width of 1500 feet and dropping from 10 to 25 feet. Sandstone Falls is located in New River Gorge National Park and Preserve about 9 miles south of the town Hilton, West Virginia. Though it is far and located in the Sandstone-Brooks area, it is still considered as a part of the New River Gorge. It is about a 1 and half hour drive to reach Sandstone Falls from the main attractions of the Park. This is the popular stop that offers a series of broad but shallow cascade waterfalls that span the entire width of the New River. Even though the waterfall is not high, the power of the water flowing over the falls is quite impressive and the sound is incredibly loud. The falls are also known for their unique geology and are composed of hard sandstone that has resisted erosion. There is a boardwalk that offers beautiful views of the waterfalls from multiple angles. It is worth stopping by and spending some peaceful time at the scenic Sandstone Falls.
These photos are from our visit to Sandstone Falls May 26th, 2023.
Quick Facts and Tips
- Best time to visit Sandstone Falls is either Spring or Fall as there are less crowds and pleasant weather when compared to Summer.
- The drive from Canyon Rim Visitor Center to Sandstone Visitor Center is about 60 miles. The address is 330 Meadow Creek Road, Sandstone, West Virginia off of exit 139 on I-64.
- The visitor center is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM from March to November, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM from December to February and closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
- The visitor center has exhibits and films on the natural and cultural history of the New River Gorge.
- There are picnic areas, a bookstore, and restrooms.
- The falls can be accessed by an easy and short 0.2 mile boardwalk and is located off River Road, WV Route 26, about 9 miles from the Sandstone Falls Visitor Center.
- The boardwalk crosses two bridges leading to a series of islands and observation decks offering wonderful views of the falls.
- There is a small, unpaved parking area near the boardwalk. The parking area can fill up quickly, especially during peak times.
- The boardwalk is wheelchair accessible and open year-round. Be cautious while exploring undesignated paths that lead to closer views.
- Sandstone Falls is a popular spot for swimming, fishing, and hiking.